Berlin Marathon Gait AnalysisFebruary 6, 2020
Kilimanjaro and Tokyo Marathon Training Tip 5February 17, 2020
Kilimanjaro and Tokyo Marathon Training Tip 4
Factors that affect endurance, performance and aerobic capacity
There are a number of key factors that affect endurance, performance and aerobic capacity
- Running economy
- Lactate threshold
- Quick recovery
- High glycogen storage and well- developed fat utilization.
- Quick recovery
Improvement in any of these areas will result in an improvement in running performance.
V02 max- V02 max is liters of oxygen per minute.
- Maximal volume of oxygen that the body can deliver to the working muscles per minute at peak perfomance
- Main determinant for VO2 max is cardiac output
- Partly dependent upon genetics, since the size of the left ventricle cannot be changed.
- The amount of oxygen that muscles can utilize depends on capillary and mitochondrial volumes.
Improving VO2 MAX
- Through years of training at high intensities
- Possible assists from altitude training, altitude tents.
- Intervals training
Benefits of improving VO2 max
- The heart can work more effectively, allowing more intense workouts
- Improved performances in events, slashing personal bests
- Greater ability to call upon a wider range of speeds
- Intensity of exercise at which lactate begins to accumulate in the blood faster than it can be removed.
- Important for long races
- Less dependent upon genetics
- Can be improved significantly with training
- Tempo runs contribute a lot to its improvement
Refers to how much oxygen is required to cover a given distance measured per kilogram of body weight.
What effects running economy-
- Constant workout.Running is a skill and like most skills it can be improved.
- The more someone runs the more efficient they become.
- The higher the mileage the faster the finish time.
- Specific strength training.
- Technique modification.
- Footwear choices.
The ability of an athlete to gain the effects of training is reliant on his or her ability to recover
Replenishing glycogen fast helps in speeding up recovery.
- It typically takes 24 to 48 hours to completely replenish your glycogen stores.
- Eat high- glycemic index foods. The glycemic index of a food is determined by the effect it has on your blood glucose level.
- High- glycemic index foods cause a large increase in blood glucose levels